October 2009 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

Larry Brown – President, presiding, called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM. Peter Schlossman acted as Secretary for this meeting. See roster below for attendance.

Previous Minutes: The minutes of the September 2009 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: TJ Kosmider was not able to attend the meeting but sent the following report via email for the meeting: HPAC owes John O’Connell $50 for flowers that were sent in appreciation to Diane Sutliff earlier this year. HPAC owes Michael Holm $66.13 for Microphone cables. TJ will forward both those checks soon. There is one outstanding check to Anne Rozmin for ($55.49) Buffalo Park expenses from back in May. The following funds are in HPAC accounts: Checking: $8,368.63, Savings: $8,360.14, PayPal: $971.83. The HPAC books are reconciled with the bank accounts. HPAC is moving their account to Albany Bank.

Council Business: See below.

Announcements: The Horner Park Pumpkin Patch will be held Oct. 17 & 18 and is the only CPD Pumpkin Patch being held on the North Region this year. A larger than usual attendance is expected.

Concert Committee: No report.

Garden Committee: Susie Novak is done with her contracted work for the season. She requests another 20 hours of work to plant bulbs and to finish work that needs to be completed this season. Tom McManamon has funds for 5 hours of Susie’s time set aside for her to complete some of that work. The grasses at the front entry will be left up this winter but Bogdan recommends cutting them in early to mid-March next year.

Web Site: The summer concert schedule should be removed from the website.

Volunteer Committee: No report.

Park Briefs:
Horner Park: Tom is researching the baseball clinic again for 2010. The date may be moved to later in the year to avoid having it so soon after holidays.

Graffiti was removed from areas in the park.

$10,000 of ward menu funds are still in CPD’s hands and are to be used as HPAC recommends. Tom McManamon is interested in obtaining new bleachers for the indoor gym. CPD plans to install automatic operating doors at the front entry, an elevator, and ADA toilets on the basement and second floor levels of the main fieldhouse in the near future.

HPBA was not present at the meeting but an email was sent stating that financial information will be submitted to HPAC and John Lyman’s questions and concerns were being addressed.

The men’s softball tournament was a success. It only netted $30 this year, but it is expected that it can be expanded next year. Volleyball will be held in the gym this year with or without a league.

Ravenswood Manor Park: Benches in the park were repaired, and a work order for relocating the diamond planter is in progress. The frame of the kiosk at Manor Park is badly damaged and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Jacob Park: Tom McManamon was told that CTA will not sell the land they own adjacent Jacob Playlot. CPD is not interested in pursuing the expansion project any further. Tom recommends improving the playlot without the expectation of any additional land in future plans.

Some IIT students were investigating the Jacob Playlot site for a canoe launch. This project may not have any connection to planning by authorities with control of the site.

Buffalo Park: No report.

Sunken Garden Park: No report.

Other business:

Flagpole Project: Reid Cleveland, Larry Brown, Tom McManamon, and Colleen Gallagher met to discuss the flagpole project. CPD requested specifications on the flagpole and the gravel path material. CPD requested that HPAC purchase the plaque for CPD to install. CPD will specify, purchase and install the concrete slab(s) and bench(es) which are anchored to them. The benches must be purchased from a CPD approved supplier. CPD requested that HPAC revise the plan to include one, not three gravel paths. HPAC will draft and approve an inscription for the plaque. Kim Shepherd, founder of the Ceriale Foundation drafted an inscription that she forwarded for HPAC’s review.

The Ceriale Foundation is considering holding a fundraiser at Little Bucharest – details to follow.
Vegetable Garden committee: Kevin Anderson was unable to attend the meeting but sent the following report via e-mail. The Park District is still evaluating the committee’s application, and has requested and received additional photos. Separate selections for “Community Vegetable Gardens” and “Ornamental Gardens” were added to the website PayPal list, for which the committee is grateful. Another grant application was submitted, and plans are being made for another fundraiser.

New Business: The annual filings with the Illinois Secretary of State for 501(c)3 status and Illinois State Historic Preservation Agency for maintenance of the Horner Park monument need to be made.

The meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM

The next regular HPAC meeting will be held Monday, November 2 at 7:00 PM at Horner Park.

Respectfully submitted: Peter Schlossman

Roster of those in Attendance:
Larry Brown, President; Peter Schlossman, Co-Secretary; Tom McManamon – CPD; John O’Connell, John Bernbom, Allan Mueller, Michael Holm, Reid Cleveland, Lisa Cleveland, Susie Novak, Tom Kosinski, Kim Shepherd.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Horner Park Earth Day 2021 Cleanup on Saturday, April 24

Join us at Horner Park from 9-11am on Saturday April 24 as we make our park cleaner and safer for […]

March 2021 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the March 2021 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

February 2021 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the February 2021 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS – 2021 Horner Park Farmers Market

We are excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for the 2021 Horner Park Farmers Market!!! Click here to learn more […]

November 2020 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the November 2020 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

October 2020 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the October 2020 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.