May 2008 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

Larry Brown, as President, presiding, called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM. Peter Schlossman acted as Secretary for this meeting. See roster below for attendance.

Previous Minutes: The minutes of the April 2008 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: The account balances are $7,832.11 in checking and $33,430.55 in savings. The Chicago Park District needs HPAC to forward funds for construction of Buffalo Park improvements – see discussion regarding Buffalo Park below.

Announcements: Earth Day activities were a success this year. 49 volunteers came to Horner Park and assisted with maintenance of the grounds there. Volunteers helped clean up, spread mulch and build a twig fence at Ravenswood Manor Park. Planting was done at Sunken Gardens. Volunteers helped clean Jacobs Playlot.

River Day is May 10. A large number of volunteers are expected from Friends of the River to help during that event. Waivers from Friends of the River and Metropolitan Water Reclamation District are needed for that day.

Concert Committee: All dates except July 11 are now booked. Larry Brown is talking to the Horner Park West neighborhood organization and Unite, the Sacramento and Kedzie neighborhood organization regarding support for the events. Ads in the concert series booklet are being sold. RMIA will take out a ¼ page ad, the Garden Club will also take out a ¼ page ad. RMIA has decided to not support Manor Bash this year. Manor Bash will be cancelled this year.

Garden Committee: Susie Novak attended a CPD orientation meeting last weekend however her new job commitments won’t allow her to continue as the gardener for HPAC parks this year. Susie has not sent in her resignation yet, and has not found a replacement. Susie says she will support and help in the transition to a replacement by providing plans, instructions and schedules. Susie will ask Bogdon, the north region horticulturalist, if he has candidates for her replacement, and if not, how he expects the maintenance to be done this summer. The grasses in front of the main fieldhouse were cut by Bogdon. Buffalo Park needs some planting done. Susie will investigate purchase of new plexiglas for the kiosk at Ravenswood Manor Park.

Web Site: No report

Volunteer Committee: No report.

Park Briefs:

Horner Park: On May 16 there will be a dedication of the teen art tile mosaic that’s being unveiled in the main fieldhouse. It is also the 30 year anniversary of the Horner Park Jazz Band and they will be celebrating that day too. A motion to approve up to $200 to reimburse the cost of refreshments for the dedication ceremony was made and seconded. It passed unanimously. An e-mail notice of the two events was requested for distribution.

Day camp is 90% full, tennis is 90% full, art class and woodshop are 100% full. Spaces for soccer, music, softball and volleyball are all filled for the season.

Friends of the Park wants to plant trees at Horner Park. HPAC is interested in accepting the offer, but needs to have further discussion on this topic. Issues to consider are watering, maintenance, and location of new plantings.

Tom McManamon requested funds for a three two-way radios. This would make communications by staff within the park more convenient. These could cost up to $150 each.

Horner Park Baseball Association has 500 commitments for players and 200 paid for baseball this year. The start of their season is dependent on receiving fees. Tom McManamon was asked what recourse CPD has if HPBA does not fulfill their financial commitment, and who would or could fill the unused fields in the event they cannot pay their park usage fees. Tom is supportive of HPBA and their business issues at this time. HPBA wants lights to remain on until 10:30 or 11:00pm.

The little fieldhouse renovation is complete.

No update on the schedule of the parking lot work has been received from Ald. Mell’s office.

A formal dedication of the diamonds at Horner Park will be worked out in the future. HPBA expressed an interest in being involved.

Ravenswood Manor Park: No report

Jacob Park: The sinkhole at Jacobs Playlot was repaired

Buffalo Park: Funds need to be transferred to CPD for the Buffalo Park improvements. A motion to cut a check for $20,000 to CPD for the work was made, seconded, voted on and passed. Documentation of the transfer of the funds should be requested in the form of a receipt from CPD. Chris Gent told John O’Connell that they will try to save the gingko tree on the south parkway that was slated for removal for construction access.

Sunken Garden Park: No report.

Other business: Gary Medina at Ald. Mell’s office was contacted regarding moving a flagpole to Horner Park.

New Business: Consideration for support for a Cornhole Tournament to be held this summer at Horner Park was discussed. Ralph Concepcion with Ravenswood Event Services asked for HPAC’s support at a previous meeting, and also asked HPAC to write a letter to the Chicago Park District to have them reduce their fees for park usage during the event. In return HPAC could negotiate a cut of the revenue currently projected at 5% of beer sales plus tip income if HPAC staffs the event with servers. The proposed date in mid-August would not affect baseball league play since HBPA plays at Thillens field that weekend. 3,000 to 5,000 people are expected to attend the event. Additional parking for the event would need to be considered, suggested sites include the lot adjacent Revere Park. The HPAC executive committee met with Ralph to discuss the details of the event on a previous occasion. Questions and concerns posed to Ralph by the executive committee included park cleanup after the event and remediation of damaged grounds and/or park facilities. Liability for the event is covered under the umbrella of Ravenswood Event Services. Tom McManamon stated that CDP has veto power over the event taking place.

A motion was made and seconded that HPAC work with Ravenswood Event Services to allow the Cornhole Tournament to take place with HPAC as the designated charitable organization for which HPAC would receive 5% of the gross beer sales without a commitment to providing volunteer labor for the event. Discussion took place and some felt that the exposure for Horner Park would be a possible positive outcome. Parking, litter and damage were discussed as possible negative impacts. The motion was voted on and passed by a vote of 7 to 1.

A second motion was made and seconded that HPAC write a letter to CPD asking them to reduce the fees for the event, and further stating that HPAC supports the event and asks that CPD work with Ravenswood Event Services to negotiate a satisfactory fee. This letter would be written contingent on HPAC receiving a donation in the amount of 5% of the gross beer sales and that HPAC be the designated charitable organization for the event. The motion passed by a vote of 7 to 1.

The meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM

The next regular HPAC meeting will be held Monday June 2 at 7 PM at Horner Park.

Respectfully submitted: Peter Schlossman

Roster of those in Attendance: Larry Brown, President; John Lyman, Vice President/Co-Treasurer; Thadeus Kosmider, Co-Treasurer; Peter Schlossman, Co-Secretary; Kevin Anderson, Co-Secretary; Tom McManamon, CPD; John O’Connell, Alan Mueller, Susie Novak, Amy Kozy.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Ravenswood Parks Fall Prep Day

Winter is coming! And your local parks need some preparation and cleanup. Saturday, October 17th, we’ll be cleaning up and […]

Unfortunately, No Horner Park Farmers Market for 2020

It is with great sadness that we announce we are unable to hold our market this season. 2020 was to […]

ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS – 2020 Horner Park Farmers Market

We are now accepting applications for the 2020 Horner Park Farmers Market. Click here to learn more about our Market mission. Click here to […]

November 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the November 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

October 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the October 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

September 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the September 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.