June 2015 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes
June 1, 2015

The HPAC meeting was called to order at the Horner Park Fieldhouse at 7:05pm.

A round of applause was given to Tom, who is leaving for a position as park supervisor at Clark Park. Tom was here for 8.5 years. Members of HPAC appreciate everything he has done on behalf of the council and we have enjoyed working with him.

On behalf of everyone at HPAC, Peter welcomed the new park supervisor, Deb Groh, who was previously at Portage Park. We look forward to working with her.

Previous Minutes:
The minutes of the May 2015 meetings were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:
The following funds are in HPAC accounts:

Checking $31,410.39
Savings    $14,726.02
PayPal       $6,240.56
Total        $52,376.97

All accounts reconcile with QuickBooks.

Dog Friendly Area Committee:
Lynn reported that the DFA has raised over $42,000. One current project is an on-line auction on Facebook. It will run June 21-June 28. There are 45 items, including lunch for 2 with Representative Quigley, earrings, and acupuncture. John F. suggested that the DFA have a table set up during Day in the Park being planned for June 20.

The next project is a calendar contest. Owners can pay $10 to submit a picture of their dog. There will be an open voting period. Let the best dogs win. Entries will be accepted starting at the end of June, voting will be in July.

They have a video on their website and on you-tube.

They will be have tables at both the Horner Park and Independence Park Farmers Markets on selected dates. The committee is using a small part of their budget to make a banner and buy a canopy.

Lynn gave a status report to Deb, who said she would support the efforts of the DFA in any way that she can.

Erica is working with someone to develop a design plan.

Concert Committee:
The first concert is June 12, the last is Aug. 22. The book is ready and will be mailed out this week. Revenue is about $16,400. 22 business pledges are still outstanding.

John would like to 2 lights, at around $300 each. John confirmed that port-a-potties will be available as needed and asked about the sign. Tom said he would have to check about the sign.

John F. described the Day in the Park being planned for June 20 and discussed some of the logistics. John would like volunteers that day to help with the logistics.

Farmers Market:
The Farmers Market starts this Saturday. There are new vendors such as prepared food vendors.
Gretchen asked that someone available by 7:30 to unlock the building each week.

Peter would like to provide materials about HPAC to the DFA on the days that they set up a table at the Horner Park Farmers Market.

Peter asked how we verify that the food is actually from a farm and not just purchased and re-sold. Gretchen said that the application process is rigorous and that all vendors have farm fresh produce.

Park Briefs:
Peter gave a brief summary of the status of each park and any work being done.

Horner Park:
River Front Restoration: A herbicide was sprayed a couple of weeks ago. Peter is trying to find out if there will be more spraying. Right now, new plants are being added. Peter is going to look at producing some signs.

Peter raised the issue of garbage. Deb will look at making more garbage cans available.

John O asked Deb to contact Horner Park North-West Little League Baseball to discuss the importance of a representative attending a meeting.

Ravenswood Manor Park:
Some of the lights need to be replaced. Deb will put in a request for someone to stain the kiosk.
There is going to be a ribbon ceremony party for the new playground.

Jacob Park:
There is still work that needs to be done, but Peter hasn’t seen anyone lately and asked if Deb could get a schedule. Peter also stressed how much the community would like to provide input into the process.

Buffalo Park: No Report

Sunken Gardens:
There was some discussion about the concert.

Website Committee: No Report

Stewardship Committee: No Report

New Business:
Peter cannot attend the July 6 meeting. John will lead the meeting.
There is a survey to find out how people would like the river front developed. The web site is www.greatriverschicago.com

Farmers Market Opening – June 6
First Concert: June 12

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35pm

Respectfully Submitted,
Lisa Cleveland Co-Secretary

Attendance:
Peter Schlossman – President , John Friedmann – Vice-President, Kevin Anderson – Treasurer, Amy Jahnke – Co-Secretary, Lisa Cleveland – Co-Secretary, Tom McManamon – Park Supervisor, ?Deb Groh – Park Supervisor, John O’Connell – Chair, Concert Committee, Gretchen Helmreich – Chair, Farmers Market, Lynn Sheck – DFA, Carol Maher – Neighbor, Larry Hodak – Neighbor, Mark Emmler – Neighbor

Comments are closed.

Ravenswood Parks Fall Prep Day

Winter is coming! And your local parks need some preparation and cleanup. Saturday, October 17th, we’ll be cleaning up and […]

Unfortunately, No Horner Park Farmers Market for 2020

It is with great sadness that we announce we are unable to hold our market this season. 2020 was to […]

ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS – 2020 Horner Park Farmers Market

We are now accepting applications for the 2020 Horner Park Farmers Market. Click here to learn more about our Market mission. Click here to […]

November 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the November 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

October 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the October 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.

September 2019 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the September 2019 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here.