January 2010 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

Larry Brown – President, presiding, called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM. Kevin Anderson acted as Secretary for this meeting. See roster below for attendance.

Previous Minutes: The minutes of the December 2009 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: John Lyman presented an online banking statement for today showing following funds are in HPAC accounts: Checking: $9,439.96, Savings: $8,361.18; Total: $17,801.14. He didn’t know if the HPAC books are reconciled with the bank accounts. HPAC is still seeking a replacement treasurer.

Council Business: See below.

Announcements: Valentine’s Dance is Saturday Feb. 6 from 4-7PM. The Friends of the Parks annual meeting will be on February 4th at the Cultural Center.

Concert Committee: A tentative meeting date of January 20th has been set. And email has gone out to the committee and should go out to the entire list soon. The committee is looking for a treasurer’s report for their account for last season.

Garden Committee: No report.

Web Site: Kevin will post a baseball clinic article. The possibility of having an on-line calendar was raised.

Volunteer Committee: No report.

Park Briefs:

Horner Park: Larry Brown reported that Chuck Lomanto of the 33rd Ward said we should expect an email from Gina in Rep. Quigley’s office clarifying state responsibility for the under bridge connector. Larry Brown did not hear anything from the 47th Ward.

The Baseball Clinic has 18-19 registered participants so far, with many more expected. The flyers have been just out. Sponsorships are still being sought. Twenty to 25 volunteers are expected. There will be only two cages this year rather than three. John Lyman reported that PayPal registration scheme has some limitations, such as not allowing additional email addresses for email notices; another scheme may be in order. Tom McManamon will be honoring the discounted price for all participants. Refunds may be possible but would require extra work.

A letter from HPAC to raise funds for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program was sent this month. HPAC will act as DHHP’s fiscal agent. Tom McManamon told DHHP that HPAC would not pay costs associated with their program over the amount raised.

John O’Connell continues to serve as liaison for the river project. He has received a report package from the Army Corps of Engineers from April 2003, to be entered into the minutes. The package contains a letter from Chicago Park District President David Doig committing to the project. Rep. Quigley’s office is working to get funding for the next phase of the project into the next federal appropriations bill.

The Horner Park Baseball Association has changed to the Horner Park North–West Little League. HPAC requested that Tom McManamon get HPBA to let us know what is up with the new name.

Horner Park’s participation in the Great Rake Off was featured in the Friends of the Parks newsletter. Correction of the tennis court light’s timing is still pending.

Ravenswood Manor Park: Peter Schlossman will drop of the plexiglass for Tom McManamon. The light timing has been fixed.

Jacob Park: No report.

Buffalo Park: No report.

Sunken Garden Park: No report.

Other business: Tom McManamon will put a basket the secondary office for HPAC correspondence to take the place of the cubby slot.

John O’Connell asked if about any outstanding donation thank-yous that need to be sent out. Larry Brown will talk to Sarah to see if there are any for the DHH program. Kevin has thanked the garden donors. There should not be any other than for the flagpole.

Larry Brown has renewed HPAC’s membership with Friends of the Parks.

Flagpole Project: Larry Brown has working with Christy Weber Landscaping and the Park District to get an estimated timeline and budget. The scouts should be able to do their digging in early February. Tom McManamon will initiate talks with the troop’s scoutmaster to help get Reid Cleveland to a point where his Eagle project can be deemed complete. There is no word yet from Kim on the police group’s fundraising event.

Vegetable Garden Committee: The committee sponsored a weatherization workshop. There has been no word on site approval.

New Business: A recruitment drive for new board members was discussed. John O’Connell will write-up an announcement to put on the website send out in an email blast.

Mike Maki summarized his plans for the Valentine’s Dance. A motion that HPAC contribute $200 for decorations and refreshments to the event using funds raised by the baseball clinic passed unanimously.

John O’Connell asked about the impact on the park from the ongoing negotiations between the city and the unions; Tom McManamon reported it was not clear yet.

The meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM

The next regular HPAC meeting will be held Monday, February 1 at 7:00 PM at Horner Park.

Respectfully submitted: Kevin Anderson

Roster of those in Attendance:

Larry Brown, President; John Lyman – Vice President; Kevin Anderson – Co Secretary; Peter Schlossman, Co-Secretary; Tom McManamon – CPD; Mike Maki – CPD; John O’Connell, Allan Mueller, Reid Cleveland, Liz Cleveland.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

August 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the August 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

July 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the July 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

June 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the June 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our August […]

May 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the May 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our July […]

HornerFest Craft Brew Festival

For local craft beer lovers, the wait is almost over. Tickets are now on sale for the summer’s big event: […]

April 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the April 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our June […]