January 2008 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

Larry Brown, as President, presiding, called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM. Peter Schlossman acted as Secretary for this meeting. See roster below for attendance.

Previous Minutes: The minutes of the December 3, 2007 meeting await approval after everyone receives a copy via email.

Treasurer’s Report: John Lyman distributed the JPMorgan bank statements showing $2,472.82 in checking, $33,409.78 in savings, for a total of $35,882.60. Some checks made out to performers at the Ravenswood Manor Park Concert Series have not been cashed yet, and Ground Up Theater would like to get a replacement check, minus a cancellation fee. A check for $481 was received from Paschen to compensate for the initial planter damage. A check for $2456.71 was written to Sarah Faber for expenses incurred for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program. The executive committee is working on fiscal oversight of this and similar programs. John Lyman did send the annual report to the state. We are still waiting on the $1500 check for the Henry Horner from the monument fund.

Announcements: Indoor rowing returns to the main fieldhouse on Saturday, Feb. 16. Earth Day will be Apr. 19.

Concert Committee: The Concert Committee will meet on Jan. 16 to begin planning the 14th season of programming.

Garden Committee: Susie Novak is being talked to about coming back for the new year. There are going to be changes to how her work is accounted for.

Web Site: No report.

Volunteer Committee: A mixer for the user community members is still being planned. The idea would be something along the lines of Manor Bash, but without booking a band. Funding is to be lined up before spring. Kevin volunteered to help put together a community users list.

Park Briefs:
Horner Park: Classes are filling up, especially spring classes which are now being offered in winter. Rentals are doing very well. Rental prices for picnic groves will be going up from $30 to $35. No park without a pool offers more programs. The little fieldhouse is coming along, and new sinks have been requested as part of the renovation of the main fieldhouse restrooms. Yellow curbs are to be painted for the fire lanes. No news on the parking lot.

Ravenswood Manor Park: The kiosk glass has been vandalized with stickers. A motion to spend $50 for a replacement piece of plexiglass passed unanimously.

Jacob Park: Kevin heard from the 47th ward office that the CTA will retain the adjacent parcel until the Brown Line renovation project is completed.

Buffalo Park: John O’Connell met with Chris Gent and Bob Thompson from CPD to discuss the seating ring project. John O’Connell would like to see a vegetation plan to replace trees and shrubs that need to be removed, as well as a budget, a materials cost list and a schedule/timeframe; overall he is happy with the design.

Sunken Garden Park: There are signs of work on the parkway water leak, but it has not yet been repaired.

Flagpole: Sites other than the front walkway were discussed. Tom and Kevin will look at the possible locations near the little fieldhouse.

Baseball: Tom McManamon reported it is his understanding that HPBA is approximately $50,000 in debt and is paying its creditors monthly.

Bylaws: The executive committee met on Dec. 11 to review the bylaws. This effort continues.

Other business: None.

New Business: None.

The meeting adjourned at 8:54 PM

Next meeting: The next regular HPAC meeting will be held Monday, February 4 at 7 PM at Horner Park.

Respectfully submitted: Kevin Anderson

Roster of those in Attendance: Larry Brown, President; John Lyman, Vice President; Thadeus Kosmider, Co-Treasurer, Treasurer; Peter Schlossman, Co-Secretary; Kevin Anderson, Co-Secretary; Tom McManamon, CPD; John O’Connell, Alan Mueller.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

August 2021 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the August 2021 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our next meeting will […]

Saturday, September 18: Pitch in for the Parks @ Horner Park

Given the turnout at our recent stewardship events, the Horner Park Advisory Council will be hosting a post-Labor Day Pitch […]

July 2021 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the JJuly 2021 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our next meeting will […]

June 2021 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the June 2021 HPAC meeting can be downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our next meeting will […]

Saturday, August 14: Pitch in for the Parks @ Horner Park

Horner Park will be hosting another Pitch in for the Parks cleanup, this time on Saturday, August 14 from 9-11am. […]

2021 Season for Summer Concert Series Announced – Support Campaign Begins

The last year has been a trying one for all of us, and we’re excited to be back with a […]