December 2006 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

Larry Brown, as President, presiding, called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM. Kevin Anderson acted as secretary for this meeting.

Previous Minutes: The minutes of the November 06, 2006 meeting were distributed and approved with corrections unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report: John Lyman delivered the Treasurer’s report for November. The fund balances follow:

October 02, 2006
Savings Acct.: $4675.10
Checking Acct.: $19,998.24
Total: $24,673.34

November 06, 2006
Savings Acct.: $2126.70
Checking Acct.: $27,202.73
Total: $29,020.36

All the officers have now added or updated their signatories on the bank account. John O’Connell and Kevin both received the updated documents John Lyman emailed to them.

John Lyman is working on the Federal Tax Form 990 which will need to be filed with the 2007 tax return because HPAC has raised more than $25,000.

The state check for the Horner Monument has been deposited.

John Lyman has been converting the accounting records to the QuickBooks Online for Non-Profits.

Sarah’s Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Program received checks for $506 and $158, giving a total of $664 for this account.

The cordless phones were purchased for $229.98.

Horner Field Renovation Report:
Tom reported that the ballfields are 100% done with this season’s work, and 80% done overall, with 80% of the electrical in the ground. To give the grass a chance to take root, teams will not be able to play on the big diamonds until mid-April, and Tom will not put any rentals on them next year.

Pete was chagrined that the public was not further consulted before the lighting towers went forward, and that the promised follow-up meeting has not held, and that the letter The Council sent in August asking about the meeting went unacknowledged. The issue was discussed further. There was agreement that The Council had conducted itself properly on this issue. That the Council’s request was ignored remains a sore point. It will be discussion further at the next meeting.

Park Announcements:
Bill Joesel is retiring after 22 years at the park. $220 was unanimously approved for the gifts including a jacket, a mock turtleneck, and a thank you plaque.

The Council mourned the passing of Marge Mell and voted unanimously to donate $50 to CurePSP in her memory.

An update to the electronic version of the letterhead is pending.

The season is done.

Web site:
Some work has been done on adding image control. Volunteers to do data entry and document scanning/conversion will be recruited from local high school students who need to fulfill their service learning graduation requirement.

Park Briefs:
Horner Park:
Kitty Gale gave details on the Green Deeds program in response to questions about the tree with plaque which has been recently planted on the hill. There was concern about how the plaque is protruding, and Kitty will check it out for the next meeting.

Samantha Jane will join the park as a monthly fitness instructor; this replaces the drama instructor, who quit. A new program, “Can I Have This Dance” will be coming next fall.

The problem of parked cars in the fire lane of the driveway will be addressed by putting up no parking signs.

The locks have been changed on the little fieldhouse so no one should be going in there except the electricians working on the lights. A guy was out to look at the damaged bricks and hole in the wall, but Kitty reported it has been put off in the work order system.

Larry Brown will personally work on the Irving Park Road underbridge connector.

For the flagpole Tom suggested that a mounting on to the face of the building be considered. An example can be seen at Kosciuszko Park.

Ravenswood Manor Park:
The fencing north of Eastwood has been removed. The discussion of further work on that part of the park was put off to the next meeting. Pete will help with the native plantings. That Earth Day will be coming up in April was pointed out.

The Concert Committee will meet on Tuesday, January 16th at John O’Connell’s house.

Improvements were discussed, including bollards and bike parking at the point. A new kiosk, in the style of the El station, is desired. Removing the light pole, while capping and retaining the electrical service at that spot, was suggested.

Paschen, the contractor for the Francisco El station renovation, will be contacted for financial support for improvements.

Graffiti on the play area tables was pointed out.

Buffalo Park:
So far the council ring project received $17,000 from 83 families, six businesses and one foundation.

John O’Connell has heard some concern about the use of the architecturally significant term “council ring” to describe the current plans. John O’Connell suggested that The Council pass a resolution in support of a direct quote from Caldwell which points out how this project fulfills his vision of what is a council ring. One goal is to use design elements which tie Buffalo Park, Manor Park (and eventually Horner Park) together. The first priority should be maintainability.

The elevation of the stone seating was discussed. The wild gardens at Margate Park, and the council ring at the southwest corner of Portage Park, were cited as similar projects that can be investigated. Crushed stone for the paths, as well as a replacement for the granite pavers for the center of the ring, was brought up as an option. There were no objections to delegating this to John O’Connell.

John O’Connell said there are no plans for a donor wall. Kitty pointed out that donor pavers are now acceptable in parks, with some restrictions.

New Business:
No other business, the meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM

The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 08, 2007 at 7 PM at Horner Park.

Respectfully submitted: Kevin Anderson

Roster of those in Attendance: Larry Brown, President; John Lyman, Vice President/Treasurer; John O’Connell, Co-Secretary; Kevin Anderson, Co-Secretary; Pete Leki; Alan Mueller; Susie Novak; Julie Peterson; Tom McManamon, CPD; Kitty Gale, CPD

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

August 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the August 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

July 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the July 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

June 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the June 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our August […]

May 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the May 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our July […]

HornerFest Craft Brew Festival

For local craft beer lovers, the wait is almost over. Tickets are now on sale for the summer’s big event: […]

April 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the April 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our June […]