April 2011 Meeting Minutes

Horner Park Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes

President Peter Schlossman called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM, the meeting was held in a second floor meeting room of the Horner Park field house. A quorum was determined to be present.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the 3/14/11 meeting were approved, with agreed changes.

Riverbank Study

Received a letter from Nicole Roach stating that a study by the ACE is in process. A probable public meeting notice is expected, possibly in June 2011.

Concert Committee

Contracts pending with talent. Advertising response is on-going with thanks to all participants. Concert management is going well. Ad book deadline is May 1. Performance dates set.

Website committee

Permission for administrator rights under review.

Dog Owner Issues

Doggie Egg Day will be April 16. Kate Perkins will circulate a questionnaire at the event. HPAC will also be present. Data was gathered on dog parks from Hyde Park community group regarding the creation of a dog friendly area.

Garden Committee

Discussion of the need for action on garden issues and discussion on labor needs for Earth Day event: with a conclusion that volunteer help is needed.

Earth Day

Scheduled for April 16. Park captains in place but additional volunteers needed. Baseball Association has pledged assistance. Gloves for volunteers are available. CPD equipment, mulch, chips in question.

River Day

Scheduled for May 14 from 9:00 am until noon. General clean-up and removal of invasive plants with some planting. Promoted by Friends of the River with help from scouts and other volunteers.

Report of the Treasurer

Total funds = $14,548.86 consisting of Chase checking $5,347.60, savings $5,125.11, Paypal 3,855.94 MB checking 220.00. All accounts are consistent with Quickbooks records and bank statements. Report of the treasurer was unanimously approved.

Ceriale Memorial Project

Scheduled for May 14 at 10:15 a.m. Review and discussion of Kim Shepard report. Larry Brown and Reid Cleveland to work on invitation list. It is clear that this is a CPD managed event. CPD will address all site preparation issues.

Fund Raiser

Board approved a May 5 event at the Red Lion from 7:00pm to 9:00 pm. A similar event was conducted by the Lincoln Square Chamber of Commerce. HPAC will be a non-profit charity beneficiary for the event. It is understood that Red Lion and Schumacher will manage the event and maintain any liability.

Jacob Playlot

In response to a request from the friends of Jacob Playlot, HPAC stated its support for the development of a raised-bed community garden, developed in a manner consistent with CPD requirements. HPAC supports the efforts, with the approval of CPD, to develop a garden at Jacob Playlot, with the understanding that the neighbors may raise money from the neighborhood for this project. It was also stressed that on-going maintenance of the garden should remain a priority.

Park Briefs


Spring classes began on March 28, strong registration for spring classes.

Major regional tumbling meet held on March 19-21.

Field house project updated, with construction at a temporary halt due to insurance administrative issues and awaiting engineering approvals. Completion date is presently open.

New bleachers, ADA compliant, ordered for the big gym with delivery expected in Fall.

Summer day camp registration in process with on-line registration a success.

Tuck pointing underway at little field house will be completed prior to May 14.

Baseball opening day is April 30, Baseball Association has +500 participants

Manor Park

Tree planting discussed. A grant application is in preparation with additional fund-raising necessary. Park clean-up scheduled for May 14. Discussion of bulletin board need for replacement/repair.

Sunken Garden

Discussion of a need for additional tree planting.

Buffalo Park

CPD will perform requested maintenance work.

The meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM.

Attendance Roster:

Peter Schlossman, President; Larry Brown, Vice President; Kevin Anderson –Treasurer; Lisa Cleveland, Co Secretary ; John Bernbom, Co-Secretary; John Lyman; John O’Connell; Alan Mueller; Martin Moreno; Tom McManamon – CPD.

Respectfully submitted: John Bernbom, Co-Secretary

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

August 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the August 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

July 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the July 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our October […]

June 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the June 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our August […]

May 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the May 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our July […]

HornerFest Craft Brew Festival

For local craft beer lovers, the wait is almost over. Tickets are now on sale for the summer’s big event: […]

April 2023 Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the April 2023 HPAC meeting can be viewed and downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who attended. Our June […]