Horner Park Advisory Council Meeting Minutes
November 7, 2016
Previous minutes: Minutes from October meeting were approved with minor changes.
The following funds are in HPAC accounts, and all accounts reconcile with Quickbooks files:
MB Checking $13,310.07
MB Savings $44,734.59
Website is now on monthly billing so we can change hosting locations when it is convenient.
Kevin and Lisa will coordinate updates to the signature card so Lisa is on file for banking with MB Financial.
Sec of State non-profit filings are complete. Federal tax e-filing paperwork is underway with Kevin and Lisa.
John O presented final accounting for the Summer Concert Series. The Series broke even, and there is new equipment purchased with profits from previous years. John is looking ahead to the 23rd season of free concerts in our parks. Next meeting is November 17 at John’s house to begin plans.
Zombie Apocalypse performance event on October 7th went off as planned.
Dog Friendly Area:
The DFA Calendars are available to purchase on the HPAC website to help raise money for the DFA.
The Auction raised $3000.
CPD is still about to send off the drawings.
At the Pumpkin Patch on October 22, there was a costumed dog parade to help generate excitement about the calendar.
DFA fundraising is on a brief hiatus until the drawings from CPD appear.
Suzanne Champ has come to present ideas about the DFA, a below under New Business.
Deb is absent, so Peter presented a summary:
- Opening of the new Horner play lot on October 15 was a great success.
- No update on Bike Path through Horner Park. The path design and schedule remains unchanged as far as he knows, even considering the removal of the Diverter at Manor and Wilson.
- No date yet for the removal of the fencing around the Chicago River bank restoration.
- Turkey Trot is scheduled for November 19. Lane Tech has said they can provide student volunteers. Erica will email her contact there and copy Deb. 136 racers are registered out of 200 slots. Moved and approved that HPAC will contribute up to $400 for turkeys and pies as prizes. Deb has secured drawstring backpacks as a participants prize.
- This year Horner was the site of the end of the Ecuadorian Parade. Next year they would like Horner to be the site of a 2 day event. Discussion is tabled for a meeting when Deb is present.
- Bench is still missing at Francisco and Eastwood.
- No update on tree replacement at parkway and alley.
- No update
- No update
Members are coordinating to get the Google contribution portal to work for HPAC and the DFA.
Website transfer is in progress.
- John submitted the final report to _____ for the grant of $500 for plants and soil for Manor Park.
- There was a stewardship day on October 15, tidying up Buffalo and Manor Park.
- Mulch was delivered by CPD to Horner Park, but poor weather has held off distributing the mulch around the park. Scientific Games had offered to be the volunteer labor. There is still hope this will happen before the winter weather sets in.
Suzanne Champ presented ideas on The Doghouse, a pet-friendly, food/beverage venue within Horner Park. Erica expressed concern about how this could go forward in CPD property without a corporate sponsor. The time frame and complications when dealing with CPD would be detrimental. HPAC advised that this idea would be better suited to private development. Or Suzanne can approach CPD directly as a vendor like any other, keeping in mind that alcohol is generally not permitted in the parks.
Turkey Trot is scheduled for November 19. Spaces are still available!!
Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 5, 2016 at a location to be decided.
Attendance: Peter Schlossman, President; Amy Jahnke, Co-Secretary; Diane Sutliff Co-Secretary; Lisa Cleveland, Treasurer; Kevin Anderson; Alan Mueller, RMIA representative; Erica Beutler, DFA Chair; Susanne Champ, neighbor and DFA supporter